- 1 tablespoon avocado oil*
- 1 (4-5 pound) pork shoulder/pork butt trimmed of excess fat
- Kosher salth & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
Don’t forget the fixin’s: corn tortllas, diced onions, cilantro, salsa, avocado slices, and lime wedges for garnish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Add the pork and sear on each side until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Place the sliced onion on the bottom of a large slow cooker. Transfer the seared pork to the slow cooker.
- Add all the remainder ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours or until the pork is tender. Remove the bay leaves.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and shred. (Keep the liquid.)
- Transfer the shredded pork to a baking sheet and broil on high for about 5 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove from the oven and pour about ¼ cup of the reserved juices from the slow cooker onto the crispy pork and toss to coat.
- Place the baking sheet back in the broiler for another 5 minutes or until the meat is crispy. Keep an eye on it! Optional to pour an additional ¼ cup liquid over the crispy pork and serve immediately.